Monday, May 9, 2011

Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan

Last night when all the world is sleeping, I wake-up around 1am and thinking of my girlfriend because their company send her to business trip in China. And I wish that she were here or that I were there or that we were together anywhere....

I go back to bed and try to sleep again but I can't sleep anymore... I think reading a book that will make my eyes tired & make me sleep again... I grab my newest purchase book title "Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan" by Bob Ong.

The Story revolves around Gilberto P. Manansala, (Galo) a college student who studies in an unnamed University somewhere in Manila, first started writing on a journal for an assignment and ended up keeping it because he did not want to waste his notebook. He chronicles his life in Manila where he lives with his relatives who never made living with them easy for him. He gets fed up with them and leaves to go back to the province to stay with his grandmother who raised him before he left for Manila. Things changed drastically from what he remembers in the province. Instead of finding the town to be just less noisier than Manila but still with improvements from his last visit, he finds that the town went backwards and were rejecting technology. His grandmother’s house grows increasingly creepier with the presence of different statues of saints and the weekly gatherings of her grandmother’s friends in her house. As weirder things start to happen, Galo tries to escape, but finds that there may be powers stronger than he is that are keeping him from doing so.

After I finished reading this book, I still woke up in the middle of the night and can't sleep anymore, I need to go to the rest room. I almost decided not to go because it would mean standing up and going there alone, and who knows what I will find when I open my bedroom door? I keep on remembering the face in the back cover of the book and freaked out at the thought of seeing that in the dark corners of our house. I got up eventually because I couldn’t hold it in any longer. But I left all doors and lights open, and ran back to the bedroom right after doing my business, all the while my mind remembering the last words of the book in absolute clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment